top of page

About Mckenzie Freinds

You have the right to speak for yourself in court without a solicitor or other legal professional.

McKenzie Friends Advice

According to UK Law and government advice, the following applies to McKenzie Friends.


"This Guidance applies to civil and family proceedings in the Court of Appeal (Civil Division), the High Court of Justice, the County Courts and the Family Proceedings Court in the Magistrates’ Courts. It is issued as guidance (not as a Practice Direction) by the Master of the Rolls, as Head of Civil Justice, and the President of the Family Division, as Head of Family Justice. It is intended to remind courts and litigants of the principles set out in the authorities and supersede the guidance contained in Practice Note (Family Courts: McKenzie Friends) (No 2) [2008] 1 WLR 2757, which is now withdrawn. It is issued in light of the increase in litigants-in-person (litigants) in all levels of the civil and family courts."

Taken from

According to Government guidelines about Self Representation in Court.

You may represent yourself in court and you may have someone support you in court. 

Someone with you in court

You may be allowed to have someone to help you in court by taking notes and giving advice, but they cannot:

  • speak for you

  • interfere with proceedings

  • sign documents on your behalf

This person is known as a ‘McKenzie friend’.

The judge will decide whether you can have a McKenzie friend with you in court.

The following is a link to Mc Kenzie Frind Guidelines as stipulated by the government. 






Discounts for Forces 

Court House

Need to talk?

Book a Free Chat with me. 

Sometimes it's good just to have a chat and get some good advice. 

I can help you with this. 

bottom of page